Favourite Fantasy/Scifi Stand-Alone Novels

Ever since the creation of this weblog, the question that people have asked me the most has remained the same. They wish to know which stand-alone novels I could recommend. Series are wonderful but time-consuming, and the wait between volumes is often interminable.

Unfortunately, I never really know what to answer to that question, since I don't know of that many stand-alone novels that are of excellent quality. As you can see from my personal Top 5, other than Guy Gavriel Kay's work, well I'm not too familiar with stand-alone works that deserve much acclaim.

Hopefully this poll can answer that recurrent question. And introduce me to books that are well worth my time! And yours!;-)

As always, feel free to vote here or on your habitual message board. And you are all welcome to leave a comment!:-) I'd also like to thank Joe from www.hallofworlds.net who suggested this idea for a poll!

Here is my Top 5:

1- TIGANA by Guy Gavriel Kay
2- THE LIONS OF AL-RASSAN by Guy Gavriel Kay
3- A SONG FOR ARBONNE by Guy Gavriel Kay
4- THE LAST LIGHT OF THE SUN by Guy Gavriel Kay
5- FAERIE TALE by Raymond E. Feist

2 commentaires:

Anonymous said...

There is a standalone book by George R R Martin, and Lisa Tuttle called WindHaven, which is very nice.

Anonymous said...

Tad Williams, THE WAR OF THE FLOWERS
Charles de Lint, THE LITTLE COUNTRY
Marion Zimmer Bradley, THE MISTS OF AVALON
Tad Williams, TAILCHASER'SONG
Octavia Butler, KINDRED

Olaf Keith